Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Installing sun-java6-jdk on Ubuntu 11.10

Intro Waffle:
*****

Frustratingly, I have been banging my head against a wall trying to get beeswax working in an isolated install of Linux on Virtual-Box. The issue being that I could not get Java6-jdk downloaded and installed. I had originally tried this on a working image of linux that had my previous hadoop working on, but since it would not work, I tailed off... I did do a backup of the original install but that clone corrupted... so now I am sat here with no operational honours project work and am forced to restart.

On restarting I hit that Java wall again, this time with some more determined searching, I found that it had been removed from some repositories, e.g Canonical. Here is what I uncovered during the search and tried, and it worked. Hopefully it will work for you too if you stumble over this trying to find a solution to a similar issue.

*****

Installing:

$ sudo apt-get install python-software-properties
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ferramroberto/java 

(I dont know how long this link will be hosted, but as of time of posting - this works, and has been hosted here for a few months.)


$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jdk

With that done - its now a good time to test how efficient my own tutorials on setting up hadoop are.

-Stu

No comments:

Post a Comment